- ArchiveGrid free access to a collection of over three million archival material descriptions
- Archives of American Art a collection of papers and primary records of the visual arts in American from the Smithsonian Institute
- BBC Archives radio and television programs as far back as the 1930s.
- The Bob Dylan Archive winner of the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature
- The British Library
- Chronicling America Review records of historical newspapers published in the U.S.; a selected number of newspapers have been fully digitized and can be searched and viewed for free
- Civil War in the American South digital collection of the Civil War era from 1850-1865
- Database of Mid-Victorian Illustration wood-engraved images
- Early Americas Digital Archive "a collection of electronic texts written in or about the Americas from 1492 to 1820"
- Early English Books Online University of Michigan
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online University of Michigan
- Emblematica Online resources for emblem studies
- Emily Dickinson Archives an open access website for the manuscripts of Emily Dickinson
- English Broadside Ballad Archive
- Europeana cultural heritage source material from European countries
- First World War Poetry Digital Archive
- French Revolution Digital Archive a collaboration of the Stanford Libraries and the National Library of France
- Folklore and Mythology Resource Guide
- International Encyclopedia of the First World War public launch will be Oct. 8, 2014
- Internet Archive public domain texts, audio files, and other collections; also known for its Wayback machine which retrieves archived internet web pages
- Jane Austen Fiction Manuscripts
- Lit Long: Edinburgh literature from Edinburgh from 1690 to present; find the literature of Sir Walter Scott and other works from Scotland
- National Archives and Records Administration the U.S. archival collections
- Open Source Shakespeare the complete works of Shakespeare; includes search tool and concordance
- Oxford Text Archive University of Oxford; search to locate open texts in literature; search by author, title, or word
- Perseus Digital Library view texts, images and read news on Greco-Roman culture, history, archaeology
- The Poetess Archive
- The Shelley-Godwin Archive will provide digitized manuscripts of Percy Bysshe Shelley, William Godwin, Mary Wollstonecraft, including her book Frankenstein
- The UK Web Archive archived UK websites going back to 2004
- The Walt Whitman Archive
- The Willa Cather Archive
- Woolf Online a digital archive of Virginia Woolf's book To the Lighthouse (1927)
- Digital Public Library of America
- Directory of Open Access Books
- 18thConnect Eighteenth-Century Scholarship Online
- Getty Research Institute search tools and databases
- Google Books
- Google Scholar
- Hathi Trust Digital Library
- JURN A curated academic search-engine, indexing 4,683 free ejournals in the arts & humanities
- NINES Nineteenth-Century Scholarship Online
- OpenBibArt open access bibliography of literature on Western Art
- Open Folklore scholarly resources for folklorists
- Open Literature a project of the Open Knowledge Foundation; contains literature that it is free to use, reuse and redistribute
- PhilPapers Online Research in Philosophy; a comprehensive index and bibliography of works in philosophy
- StackLife a new way to browse the Harvard Library collection (beta)
Agathos an international review of the humanities and social science
Archaeology International peer-reviewed open access journal
Architectural Histories peer-reviewed open access journal
Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture an open access journal
Dalhousie Journal of Interdisciplinary Management an open access journal
Dictionaria: towards a dictionary journal "an electronic open access journal that publishes dictionaries of minor languages in database format."
Digital Culture and Education an open access journal
Digital Humanities Quarterly "an open-access, peer-reviewed, digital journal covering all aspects of digital media in the humanities"
Digital Studies an open access academic journal for researchers in the digital humanities
Electronic Book Review peer-reviewed journal addressing the future of digital literature
Expositions an open access journal featuring interdisciplinary studies in the humanities
Film-Philosophy an open access journal published by the Edinburgh University Press
Heidelberg Journal of Religions on the Internet see special issue (v. 10 2016) "Religion in Digital Games Respawned"
infor a collection of freely accessible journals in the field of information science
International Journal of Communication peer-reviewed journal from the University of Southern California Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism
Internet Archaeology open access journal on archaeology; published on the web since 1996
Journal of Digital Humanities peer-reviewed open access journal
Language Documentation and Conservation open access journal from the University of Hawaii Press
Liber Quarterly the journal of the association of European research libraries; this is an open access, peer-reviewed journal
Literary Geographies "The journal features work combining topics and methods from literary studies, cultural geography, cartography, and spatial theory."
OA Anthropology List of open access anthropology publications collected by author of Savage Minds blog
Open Library of Humanities open access journal
Open Linguistics open access journal published by De Gruyter Open
The Public Domain Review a project of the Open Knowledge Foundation; see annual issue on newly released works into the public domain (January of each year on Public Domain Day)
Publications an open access journal on scholarly publishing
Virtual Archaeology Review an open access journal
Annotate research tool for uploading, sharing, reviewing, commenting on documents; free or premium accounts available
Annota create and share bookmarks
CiteULike free research management tool
Data for Research a free service for researchers who want to analyze content on JSTOR
Digital Object Identifier System known by its acronym DOI, it is a system for maintaining an active link for digital content
DIRT Digital Research Tools a directory of digital research tools for scholarly use
Eventseer.net track academic events; create an account for updates
Figshare store, share and discover research
Google Scholar Citations a tool that helps authors keep track of citations to their articles
Grantfinder funding guides and donor profiles
Hypothes.is a tool for annotating web pages
Mendeley free reference manager; create a free account; manage and share your research
Omeka an open source tool for complex web publishing
Orcid create an ID; manage your research profile with this unique personal identifier
PaperPile research management tool; 30 day free trial
ReadCube research management tool; free download for MAC and Windows
WebCite web citation material preserved; archive your web references
Zenodo upload, share, and browse research
Zotero collect, organize and share your research materials; download free Zotero software to begin
Ancient World Online research blog that focuses on open access research; provides a list of open access journals in ancient studies
dh+lib a blog on the digital humanities and libraries
Digital Koans news concerning digital scholarship issues
The Digital Shift blog from the Library Journal covering libraries and new media
The Disruptive Searcher a blog for those who do research
Futurity: research news from top universities
Inside Philanthropy blog covering fundraising news for the humanities and other academic fields
Laura's Dark Archive a librarian's reflections on research
No Shelf Required on all aspects of e-books
Plays Well With Others a podcast about the art, science and mechanics of collaboration
Scholarly Kitchen blog focusing on scholarly publishing
Talking Humanities blog from the School of Advanced Study, University of London
Undark a blog posting essays on a variety of subjects
Unlocking Research a blog from the University of Cambridge
A Way of Happening a research library blog; especially good for extended discussions on research tools
Author and Book Info information on more than 158,000 authors and their books, for books published before 1964
Beyond the Bookcast a podcast series concerning the business of writing and publishing
Books for understanding: scholarship beyond the headlines; "a free, easy-to-use resource to help you find books on current events."
ISBN Search locate a book by its International Standard Book Number or ISBN
Three Percent a resource for international literature
World eBook Fair ebook collections by academic discipline
Big Digital History exploring big data through a historian's macroscope by Shawn Graham, Ian Milligan, and Scott Weingart. 2014. An online manuscript of a book to be published by the Imperial College Press.
Cross-Linguistic Linked Data data-sets for languages; the data is reusable
DHThis a digital humanities source for news in the field
DH Toychest "Guides, tools, and other resources for practical work in the digital humanities by researchers, teachers, and students. Curated by Alan Liu, University of California, Santa Barbara."
Digital Scholarship a series of bibliographies published by Charles Bailey; bibliographies include the Digital Curation Bibliography, the Altmetrics Bibliography and the Electronic Theses and Dissertations Bibliography
Discovering Scholarship on the Open Web an open access white paper (2013)
Editage Insights resources for researchers, authors, journals; advice on writing, publishing, editing
Europeana Professional a site for cultural heritage professionals and technologists
H-Scholar a site for independent scholars and scholarship
Imagination, Computation, and Expression Laboratory At MIT; "Our research and development work includes new forms of gaming, interactive narrative, social media, digital media art..."
Introduction to Digital Humanities: Concepts, Methods, and Tutorials for Students and Instructors; from the UCLA Center for Digital Humanities as cited in "How the Humanities Compute in the Classroom," Chronicle of Higher Ed. Jan. 6, 2014 
Lexicity an index for ancient language resources on the Internet
Modernist Journals Project; How to Read a Magazine
NULab for texts, maps and networks projects, events and activities at Northeastern University
Open Access Textbooks and Language Primers a list of resources from the blog Ancient World Online
Open Library of Humanities a project that provides a platform for publishing in the humanities
ORCID a non-profit that provides a registry of unique personal identifiers for researchers and scholars; sign up to create an ORCID ID.
PRIMO Peer-Reviewed Instructional Materials Online; a database of instructional materials by librarians for teaching digital research techniques
Research Information a British publication on the web
The Getty Museum Open Content open access images
Digital Penn Museum search the collection of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
- Penn Museum object data download data from the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology; available as either a CSV, XML or JSON file
Metropolitan Museum of Art has released over 400,000 images as open access
- Datasets The Metropolitan Museum's datasets available in CSV format
“An Avatar ... in a Physical Space”: Researching the Mediated Immediacy of Electronic Dance Floors by Botond Vitos. v. 6 no. 2 Dancecult: Journal of Electronic Dance Music Culture, 2014.
Exploring and Designing Virtual Worlds editorial introduction by Joan Fragaszy Troyano and Lisa M. Rhody. Vol 3. No. 1 Journal of Digital Humanities, 2014.
The Mind Bleeds into the World: a conversation with David Chalmers. Edge, Jan. 24, 2017. NYU professor discusses philosophy and virtual reality. He states: "A virtual world is just as real as a physical world." Find the full text of the article here.
Platform studies as method for the critical historical study of electronic games by Raiford Guins. Published in Digital Culture and Education, Nov. 14 2016. Discusses his Game History course.
Success through Collaboration: What the Players of World of Warcraft Can Teach Us About Knowledge Production and Sharing in Virtual Communities by Tammy Ann Whynot. v. 7 no. 2 Dalhousie Journal of Interdisciplinary Management, 2011.
Big Data, Little Data, No Data by Christine Borgman. MIT Press, 2015. For free excerpts of the book visit BITS from the MIT Press. Subject: Communication in learning and scholarship -- Technological innovations; Research -- Methodology; Research -- Data processing; Information technology; Information storage and retrieval systems; Cyberinfrastructure
Big Digital Humanities: imagining a meeting place for the humanities and the digital by Patrik Svensson. Digital Culture Books, 2016. Read it for free online. Subject: Big data.; Digital humanities.
Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Visual Arts developed by the College Art Association. Feb. 2015. Available as a .pdf or web text.
Deep Stories: Practicing, Teaching, and Learning Anthropology with Digital Storytelling by Mariela Nuñez-Janes et al. Sciendo (de Gruyter), 2017. This is an open access book. Subject: Anthropology -- Study and teaching.; Digital storytelling.
Digital Humanities and Digital Media: Conversations on Politics, Culture, Aesthetics and Literacy edited by Roberto Simanowski. Open Humanities Press, 2016. This book can be downloaded at no cost here.
Digital Scholarly Editing: theories and Practice edited by Matthew James Driscoll and Elena Pierazzo. Open Book Publishers, 2016. The book is available to view or download on the publisher web site.
Hacking the Academy: new approaches to scholarship and teaching from digital humanities edited by Daniel J. Cohen and Tom Scheinfeldt. University of Michigan Press, 2013. To read the free version of the book go to http://www.press.umich.edu/3981059/hacking_the_academy
Laying the Foundation: Digital Humanities in Academic Libraries by John White and Heather Gilbert. Purdue University Press Books, 2016. This is published as an open access book here.
Let's Put Data to Use: Digital Scholarship for the Next Generation, Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Electronic Publishing, IOS Press, 2014. Open access publication.
Literary Gaming by Astrid Ensslin. MIT Press, 2014.
Literary Studies in the Digital Age: an evolving anthology, edited by Kenneth M. Price and Ray Siemens. MLA Commons, 2013.
Interdisciplining Digital Humanities: boundary work in emerging fields by Julie Thompson Klein. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2014.
Manifesto for the Humanities: Transforming Doctoral Education in Good Enough Times by Sidonie Smith. University of Michigan Press, 2015. Read this book online for free using this DOI link.
New publication cultures in the Humanities: exploring the paradigm shift by Peter Dávidházi. Amsterdam University Press, 2014. Download the book for free
Open Access and the Humanities by Martin Paul Eve. Cambridge University Press, 2014. Open access version is available at this linkDOI
Pastplay: teaching and learning history with technology by Kevin Kee. University of Michigan Press, 2014. Available to read as a free e-book via Digital Culture Books, an imprint of the University of Michigan Press.
A Reader in Themed and Immersive Spaces by Scott A. Lukas et al. ETC Press, 2016. Download a free copy of the book from Carnegie Mellon University's ETC Press. This is an open access book.
Reading Today edited by Heta Pyrhönen and Janna Kantola. London: UCL Press, 2018. Available to read for free at UCL Press.
Seeing the Past with Computers: Experiments with Augmented Reality and Computer Vision for History edited by Kevin Kee and Timothy Compeau. University of Michigan Press, 2019. This is an open access book available to read online for free.
Teaching History in the Digital Age by T. Mills Kelly. University of Michigan Press, 2013. To read the open access version of the book use the DOI link
Writing History in the Digital Age edited by Jack Dougherty and Kristen Nawrotzki. University of Michigan Press, 2013. To read the open access version go to DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3998/dh.12230987.0001.001
BITS A collection of MIT Press books with free access to excerpts of the books
e-Duke Books Duke University Press online books; a number of the earlier publications are free to read, e.g. The Academic's Handbook (2007).
Gutenberg<e> A collection of open access books sponsored by the American Historical Association and the Columbia University Press
OAPEN freely accessible books in the humanities and social sciences from publishers in Europe
Purdue University Press Books open access books and journals
Stockholm University Press open access books and journals
UCL Press open access publishing at the University College of London; launched June 2015
University of Ottawa Press a portion of its catalogue is now open access